Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Wrap 2 hot dog sausages in bacon, pinning the ends of each strip to the hot dog with a toothpick.
- Place the larded hot dogs in an oven-safe skillet and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the side of the hot dog in contact with the pan has crisped up slightly. Flip the hot dogs onto their other side, and cook for 10-15 minutes longer, or until the bacon is crisp all over.
- While the hot dogs crisp on their second side, heat up a second large skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Add ½ red onion, finely sliced, and season with about ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions have browned (a little char is good). Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Remove the bacon-wrapped hot dogs to a plate, take out the toothpicks, and tent with foil. Toast up the hot dog buns in the residual bacon fat, until light-golden brown.
- Serve the hot dogs in the toasted bun, topping with charred onions, lettuce and pickles, and drizzled with the condiments of your choice.
Recipe courtesy of Pop Sugar Food.